Grandpa Max Cohen came to America from the Kiev area in Southern Russia in the late 1880s and settled in Baltimore with his wife and first-born child.
Leaving his family in Baltimore, he push-carted in West Virginia to make his fortune. By 1904 he had made enough money to return to Baltimore and open his dream store in the city. By 1906, the family had grown to 9 children. In 1914, after two relocations, Cohen’s moved to 516 South Broadway.
The fifth of Max’s children was Aaron, born in 1901. He started working in the store before he was 10, finally leaving school at the end of seventh grade to work full-time at Cohen’s. By the 1920s, the siblings had left the ‘nest’ and Aaron and Max continued the business — which now included a wholesale ship supply business. By 1920, Aaron married and went on to have three children. The youngest, Gilbert, was born in 1937.
In 1952, Aaron succumbed to Thyroid cancer. His widow and oldest son Martin carried on. By 1959, Gilbert graduated college and returned to Cohen’s. The business grew modestly but it was obvious that the South Broadway location prohibited expansion. In 1969, Cohen’s expanded to it’s present Cockeysville location. Both stores operated until 1974 when the original store was closed.
In 1977, Gilbert became the sole owner. Over the last 35 years, the store has expanded three times from it’s original 4000 square feet to it’s present 10000 square feet. It operated with a dedicated staff, including Gilbert’s wife Patricia, who married Gilbert in 1998.
Cohen’s is Baltimore’s oldest family owned-and-operated clothing store. We are proud to continue the Cohen’s tradition of offering high quality apparel with integrity, honesty, and impeccable service.